Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 102 (79 days to go…)


Well today was a meh day. I was up late last night, about 3am, dealing with an issue in the codebase. My colleague Stephen had found it, and we were going through what caused it. The thing was that this issue was already noticed before by Dani, our tester out here, but I had wrongly diagnosed it and thought everything was fine. Now that we are past final code cutoff, and things are proceeding through the channels to get the release certified, it turns out things are not so fine. It is not a super critical bug, but it is definitely a display issue that will impact customers. It really needs to be fixed. A couple days ago that would have been easy. Now we might have to jump through hoops politically. I made a mistake, and I VERY much HATE making mistakes.

I got up bright and early at like 6am to tell Hal, the theater lead, the news. Sometimes you’re the hero; sometimes you’re the villain. Today I’m the villain. I was dreading it all night thinking of all the worse scenarios. I explained the situation to him, and he was very understanding. He said it was code and things happen. He said we would deal with it, and we did. We got the ball rolling almost immediately to go through the channels to get the fix in. Oi took me out to breakfast as she says I was looking very gloomy. I thank her very much for that. After I came back Hal did have one demand. He ordered me to bed saying I needed sleep. He said the bug would be here when I got back, and I should be well rested so I could fix it.

At the end of the day it seems we will be able to get it in fine. We caught it early enough so there were no complications. Still this showed me that I must be ever vigilant to not become complacent and get sloppy.



~David

1 comment:

  1. oh nuuu! @.@ i know i am late in commenting but man was i in suspense reading this whole post up until the end!

    ReplyDelete