Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 28 (153 days to go…) - A Month In Review


Well it has been an entire month here, and I’m still alive. It hasn’t been so bad. It really seems like I have been here for a lot longer though. One’s sense of time gets very warped out here. Sometimes it seems a day flies by and sometimes it seems to drag on and on and on. Weeks seem to usually go by very fast yet the month itself seems about 3 times as long. Since I work 7 days a week, you can really lose track of what day of the week it is. I sometimes have msged a coworker back in the States, only to find out it’s the weekend.

Most of my time here is working or sleeping. I had my friends put together hard drives full of media content so I wouldn’t get board; however, I have barely had the time to touch either drive. I have been watching an episode of Big Bang Theory every so often, and I have been playing Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time 3D on my 3DS for a bit when I get the chance. A typical day consists of 12 hours working, 2 hours for meals, 1 hour of personal hygiene and getting ready, 1 hour of personal time, and 8 hours “sleeping”. Sleeping is in quotes because I get woken up several times with roommates going out and in, turning the lights on, getting dressed, etc. at all odd hours.

The roommates I have are really not that bad. I have heard some real horror stories about some terrible roommates. Mine try to be quiet and are nice enough. They generally just keep to themselves. Still, it is annoying when one comes in at 4am, turns lights on, gets changed, maybe knocks something over or bangs something, and finally gets in bed. Since I am on the top of a bunk bed, I feel every time the one on the bottom rolls over or sits up. I really can’t blame them too much. In fact I am sure they have the same complaints against me. Try to be quiet as I might, I have banged the top light while trying to quietly get out of bed, or dropped something, or banged the cabinet shut. I feel horrible every time but accidents just happen. It still sucks though when trying to sleep.

As mentioned before on this blog, the food at the DFAC here is not the best. At least it’s free. I do like going to Eggers every Friday for steak for a change in pace. I also order a pizza for lunch every three days or so. When I do eat at the normal DFAC, I can expect the options to be fairly standard. There is always some noodles (in one of like 6 shapes), red and white sauce, three meal dishes with one being vegetarian, two potato products (mashed, fried, baked, French fries, hash brown nuggets, dumpling, etc) and some bread of one type or another. There is also some veggie stuff I don’t touch. I usually go for the noodles, one of the meat/meal dishes (if I can find one that looks edible), some potato stuffs, and some bread. My coworkers always joke about me ‘carb loading’ as my plate is always full of carb food. Whatever… they are just jealous that I can do it and not gain weight. ;-)

Speaking of that, one thing you DO have to have here is very ‘thick skin’. Though the people I work with are all civilians, many used to be military. That combined with the fact we are on a military base and are in very close quarters, you get a very military-like environment. Comments are sometimes crass and crude. You got to roll with the punches. Some people just can’t handle it. I don’t mind though; I’m used to the same kind of crude talk with my gamer friends. You just got to let it roll off you, and punch in a good comeback when you can. At most places people will talk good to you to your face despite what they truly think of you. Here it is the exact opposite. Everyone talks trash about everyone to their face. The real trick to finding out people’s opinion of you of course is finding out what they say behind your back. People here are good people though, and once you learn to talk the language, you fit right in.

So it is not the best place in the world but it isn’t so bad. Still with all such problems and complaints, I do realize that it could be much worse. I mean many Afghans don’t live much better than peasants 1000 years ago. In such a world, I basically live like a king. I live in a nice cool room. I am presented a feast of food where I can eat as much as I want. I practically have servants doing my laundry, making my meals, and doing all the cleaning. I have an unlimited supply of free bottled waters, usually cooled, and offered everywhere. I have the money to buy anything offered. About the only thing different is that I don’t have a group of women dancing for my pleasure… oh and you know, I have to actually get work done. I also can’t order the executions of random ppl… hmmm… In all seriousness though, it must really look like I am living like a king to these people and in their perspective, I really am. In fact many of the things I look forward to going back home would probably seem really weird to them. I look forward to going home and doing my own laundry, cooking my own meals (and yes going out to eat too…), cleaning my own shower. Why would I want to do all that myself when I get it all free here? Perspectives can be weird.

It really does make you appreciate the things you have. Here I am living way better then these people, WHILE making tons of money, yet still complaining. I do know I am very fortunate for what I have. I also would not be out here in the first place if I knew it wasn’t worth it. That being said I still get flustered with limitations here and greatly look forward to going back home. It’s mixed feeling really. Also complaining is not always bad. Complaining is by definition not being content with your situation, and being content can be far more dangerous. Being content can lead to stagnation, and as many of you know, my personal motto is that if you’re stagnant, you’re dead. I always look to better myself, my situation, and those around me. To climb higher, to reach farther… so to speak. To do so, you must ALWAYS have some ‘complaint’ that you aim to solve. In this way I can both be very grateful for what I have, and still have complaints. ;-)

Well I’m rambling, and it’s late. So that’s it… a month in review. A bit longer of a post which is why it took me several days to write it. FYI I did write this about 2 weeks after the date posted. Yah I am still behind. With this post out of the way, it should be easier to catch up now though. Next post will have some random pictures that didn’t fit any particular category. Till next time…



~David

No comments:

Post a Comment