Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 12 (169 days to go…)


Well I still have not received my package. It has been over a week and is still not here. I got in touch with Bagram and it turns out that for SOME reason it is still at the Bagram post office. I guess the guy we talked to previously tried to fill out a change of address form, which is silly because it’s only one package. I don’t know why they just didn’t slap a new label on it. They said they will look into it in the morning. It is just getting annoying at this point though. I have to do laundry every day. If I forget to pick up the clean clothes before they close (which I did once) I have nothing to wear except the previous day’s clothes. LUCKALLY this base has a one day turnaround on laundry unlike many others. I would have been screwed. Also I am just about out of shampoo but Dani was kind enough to give me her travel one to use.

Later in the day I went over to the Bazaar that the locals host every Friday. There is all assortment of local items, scarves, jewelry, rugs, knives, and all kinds of other stuff. They are very aggressive about selling you their items too. I would say take a regular sales person in a Best Buy or something and multiply it by 10. If you shake their hand they will grab on and not let go until you buy something, or forcibly remove their hand. At one table I assumed the owner was away so started looking through some interesting knives. It turns out that this little 10 year old boy was running the table. He was one of the best salesmen I have ever seen, relating to me, showing exactly why I needed this one knife, cutting down the price, and trying every technique in the book. I probably would have bought it if it wasn’t for the fact the knife was a switch blade that I wouldn’t be able to bring back to the U. S. It was definitely an interesting experience though. Below are some images of the event. At one point some helicopters decided to land in the field, much to the annoyance of the shop owners trying to keep everything from blowing everywhere.








~David

No comments:

Post a Comment