Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 2 (179 days to go…)


This morning I took my first shower here in Afghanistan. It was not a pretty site. Without going into too much detail, the shower was pretty bad. It was pretty dirty, small, and didn’t drain. The water output was also poor. I am pretty sure showering is going to be on my all-time top 3 things that I hate the most out here. I also laugh at the 3 minute shower policy. With the water pressure it took me about 3 minutes just to wash the shampoo out of my hair. I guess this just shows again how great we have thing back home.

After the shower, I walk out of the bathroom, only to find my shoes gone. I had placed them right by the bathroom under this table in the hallway. So here I am, second day here, standing basically naked with my towel around my waste with my (now dirty) shower shoes on my feet, wondering just what to do now. I decide to do the only thing I can think of, pace up and down the hallway asking anyone and everyone if they had seen my shoes. I was about to give up (and do what, I do not know) when I finally found someone who knew where they were. It was an Afghanistan worker. He got them and gave them back. It turns out that the TABLE I had set them under was the ‘free give-a-way’ table and the worker just assumed someone was giving them away and snatched them. I now know not to make THAT mistake again and to avoid that table. I was thankful to have them back though. I did also loose a pair of socks in the whole ordeal, but I can deal with that.

Later I decided to treat myself to some pizza at the pizza restaurant on base here. This time I got a whole pizza to myself, cheese only of course. It brightened my day and was really good, or as a coworker would say “It was Delish! And Nutrish!”.



~David

No comments:

Post a Comment